Sunday, February 21, 2010

Freezer Cooking


February 20, 2010
10 chicken enchiladas, 2 gluten free cheese enchiladas, 9 taco casseroles, 12 lasagnas, 9 meals of machaca, 9 dizza doughs with all the pizza fixings, 9 Italian chickens, 9 meals of chili, 9 pepperoni pasta bakes, 6 meals of breakfast burritos, 9 meals of seasoned chicken. That's 105 meals made in about 12 hours by 3 people to split between 3 families!!!
Thanks Vicki and Renee for letting me join your group. I'm so excited!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wow!  I am impressed!  You go girl!!
Happy storytelling

6 comments:

Meg Barry said...

What a great idea! Would you mind posting more details about how y'all organize this?

Sara said...

Wow! Way to go!

The Marley Family said...

Wow!!! I've always wanted to try that! How do you get started? Would all that fit in a normal sized freezer?

Carrie Allen said...

I honestly didn't organize this - my friend Renee did. She planned what meals we were doing (with our suggestions) and made up the grocery lists telling us exactly what to buy and everything.

We all kind of had our jobs beforehand - I fried all the gound beef while Vicki cooked the machaca and made the pizza dough and Renne got the ground sausage ready and the other items for our pizzas together. We got all of our stuff over to Renee's house on Thursday or Friday so it was all in one place. When I got to Renee's house on Saturday the chili was already in the crockpots. We cooked all the pasta for both pasta meals and then made those up. Renee and I teamed up on the lasagna while Vicki made the enchiladas and the breakfast burritos. We all took turns cleaning up, washing dishes, and helping where we could. It took almost 12 hours and we were exhausted when we were done but it was a good exhausted. Thank you to our hubbys (and for my mom since Tyler had scoutday camp this day too) for watching the kids and buying lunch and dinner for everybody.

We either doubled, tripled, or 1 1/2 recipes depending on how many meals 1 recipe actually made for our families. Then we made 3 meals out of that for each of us by lining 9x13 pans with foil lengwise and width wise so we could make 2 meals in each pan (I know that doesn't make sense because it didn't to me either until I saw it - maybe i'll take a picture of that next time). We spooned the meals into our foil and then wrapped it up and stuck it in the ziplock. Remember all that you are seeing is food for 3 families. I think it would fit in a standard freezer if there wasn't much else in it. I also have a box freezer in the garage.

Basically it takes someone really organied to head it all up and one long day. Maybe Renee, our leader Ü, will comment more about it if she sees this post. I'm really excited to try the meals and see if this works for our family. Ü

Owens Family said...

It's all renee she's the cooking natzi. and I have to clear something up, Renee made the pizza dough too.

Renee said...

Carrie and Vicki thanks for the compliments!! Really I don't think I did anymore then you guys did. And thanks Vicki about the pizza dough, I think Carrie thought you did it because of your comment when she said WE finished the pizza dough, LOL, but either way we each did a lot so it really doesn't matter who did what.

For everyone else that is curious how this all came to be... First off I am a planner and organizer, I have been all my life so it just comes easily to me. Second with the help of my computer and some spread sheets I put all the meals and the ingredients in that I would do for freezer cooking. I keep in mind what goes in the meals because some things just will not taste good after being cooked and frozen and also I make sure it's something that my family would not mind eating about 2-3 times per month. Third, I just decided what meals we would make and how many of each we would make and then like Carrie said I doubled or tripled the ingredients depending on how many meals we were making and then I sent out a grocery list. Fourth, I made a list of what things we needed to do, for instance fry ground beef or cook pasta. I tried to put them in some sort of order. I based this on how many pots could fit on the stove at 1 time or how many dishes we could get in the oven so that something was always going and we weren't just standing around. And last it really helped to have friends there because instead of being by myself all day in the kitchen (cooking is by no means my favorite thing to do), I had friends to talk with and help in the work so the time flew by and everything got done. Both Vicki and Carrie have a 2nd freezer so space was probably not an issue for them. I on the other hand only have 1 freezer (which is not very big at all) and I did manage to fit everything in it. I don't have much else in my freezer though, some toaster strudels and ice cream and a few other things. So I am actually looking into getting a 2nd freezer but it is possible to fit 30 meals in your freezer. We put them in baggies so they don't take up as much space as a container would.

So I am monopolizing your comments Carrie so I will leave it at that. If anyone else has any questions you can ask Carrie for my email and I'd be happy to help you out! I have gotten so many questions about our cooking days and even some offers to be paid for making meals for other people, lol, that the thought crossed my mind that planning other peoples freezer days could become a business. Haha, that is too funny because I really just started this to make my life simplier!!